September 23, 2008

sobo yard sales.

On Saturday morning, Bennet and I walked over to Light Street to check out a yard sale we had seen advertised. Surprisingly we found more than one - I had no idea that yard sales were so popular in the city! We picked up some great baby toys for fifty cents a piece, which I think were a steal. We also picked up something unexpected - dirty socks and an extremely sketchy sweater. Allow me to explain.

It was a slightly chilly morning, so I dressed Bennet in long pants and a long sleeved shirt. No socks, because he always kicks them off anyway so I didn't see the point. No blanket because it was like 70 degrees in the sun so I didn't feel like we needed one. Apparently I was wrong.

As we were looking through the toys, this sweet, little, old lady came over to us and said, "Where's that baby's blanket?" I said, "Oh, he's fine. It's not that cold." You'd think that, as his mother, I'd have the final say with this. Not the case.

Another old lady came over with some old, white, toddler-sized socks and said, "Honey, is it all right if I put these on him? His toes must be so cold." I said, "Oh, he's fine. He always kicks socks off, that's why I don't have any on him." She put socks on him anyway. How can you argue with little, old ladies?

I tried to be nonchalant about this, thinking when I finished buying my things I'd just walk around the corner and take them off. Then, a
completely different little, old lady came over with this hideous sweater - white, size 18 months, hokey decals sewed onto it - and said, "Sweetie, can I put this sweater on the baby?" (Unbelievable right? I know.) I figured it was easier just to let her since I was about to leave and I could just take it off of him when we were out of sight. When I saw the tag that said it was fifty cents and realized she was selling it, I said to her, "Here, let me at least give you the money for it," and handed her two quarters.

She said, "Oh, honey, I don't need your money. I just need to know that your baby is warm."

Give me a break. I made her take the money and I went on my way. I know these old ladies mean well but come on! I am fully capable of taking care of my baby. "I just need to know that your baby is warm." Apparently I should be reported for not dressing my child in a parka and boots in 70 degree weather.

If you know me, though, you know I got pictures of Bennet's sobo yard sale attire. Handsome, huh?



3 comments:

April E. :) said...

He is ADORABLE...even with dirty socks and a crazy sweater!

- Sarah :-) said...

ha ha - at least he got a good laugh out of it!

Brandy said...

That is hilarious!!! I was actually laughing out loud reading your post!!!! My grandmother always did that to me when I first had Adam. Adam was once seen in a sweater and a hat in august!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...