December 10, 2008

christmasy happenings.

It's Monkey's first Christmas and we've been busy, busy, busy! (Which you've probably noticed since my time to blog has been slim.) I have always been a lover of Christmas. It is my absolute favorite time of year. I love the music, the decorations, the cold air, the presents, the crowded malls, the shopping, the celebrating of Baby Jesus' birthday. It's so fabulous...so fabulous indeed.

I knew that sharing my favorite holiday with a sweet, little baby would make it even more special, but I had no idea how much more fun Christmas would be with a child in tow. Here are just a few things we've done for the first time this Christmas, all because of Bennet being with us:

Our first real Christmas Tree.
Gone is the 3-foot, artificial tree from Wal*Mart that we've set up every year since Andrew bought the house. Babies need real, lovely, pine-smelling, 6-foot Christmas trees. Ours is beautiful - full of ornaments from my childhood and Andrew's childhood and new ornaments that we've purchased on our Christmases together. I love it. I leave it lit just about all day and often find myself staring at it for long periods of time. It makes our house feel like a family lives here now.




Our first visit to a mall Santa (well, at least in the last 25 years or so.)
Could anything make you feel more Christmasy than going to the mall to visit Santa? Having not been to see Santa for years myself, I forgot about the magic of standing in that line waiting for your turn to spend just a few minutes on Santa's lap. I forgot about the excitement and wonder and hope that you feel as a child, dreaming of Santa coming to your house on Christmas Eve and leaving you all the presents your heart could desire. I forgot that you're supposed to tell Santa what you want for Christmas. I told him Bennet wants size 12 months clothes, bath toys and socks. Lucky for Bennet, that is exactly what he's getting this year.




Our first shot at dressing our baby up in cute Christmas clothes.
Babies dressed in their Holiday best - there's nothing cuter. Bennet has all sorts of ridiculously cute Christmas garb this year - sweater vests, pajamas, socks, sweaters and my personal favorite...his Santa Monkey outfit! Our fabulous nanny bought this for him because she's...well...fabulous. Monkey dressed as a Christmas Monkey - how's that for Holiday cheer?




Our first time paying attention to the calendar of Christmas events in the city.
Sure, we've always made the traditional trip to Hamden to see the famous lights of 34th street (we're going this weekend actually.) Apart from that and the occasional other Christmas event, I had never paid much attention to how many things there are for families to do here in Baltimore to celebrate the Christmas season. Christmas tree lightings, parades, breakfasts with Santa (also on our calendar this weekend,) story times, and more! The family fun that Baltimore provides at Christmastime is truly spectacular. Here's a shot of our happy family last weekend at the Lighted Boat Parade at the Harbor - in the snow!




Merry Christmas everyone! From our family to yours, we hope that you are having as blessed of a Holiday season as we are! Enjoy these next two weeks of Christmas fun!

2 comments:

April E. :) said...

Yeah for the Schmoopies and Monkey's 1st Family Christmas :)

The Coys said...

He is getting cuter and cuter! I'm envious you went to the lighted boats parade. We wanted to go but it was SOOOO cold that night!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...