September 21, 2012

Self Help Book Club: The Happiness Project

Some of the things that make me happiest in life are reading self-help books, getting together with girlfriends for drinks and dinner, and talking with other people about a really good book.

IMG_20120920_191713

When I finally got around to reading "The Happiness Project” by Gretchen Rubin a few weeks ago, I was genuinely sad that I hadn’t read it sooner.  In the book, Gretchen spends a year making and keeping simple resolutions each month that she hopes will make her happier in her day-to-day life.  She spends the year doing things like de-cluttering her home, working on her marriage and going on adventures in New York City, where she lives with her husband and daughters.

Like Gretchen, I’m a pretty happy person.  The concept of being happier with what you have really appealed to me, and as I was reading through the book, I couldn’t help but think about some happiness resolutions I could stand to make in my own life.

IMG_20120920_190350

Some of the things I want to do in the next few months – read more, discover more about myself, be intentional about spending time with my girlfriends.  Thinking through these things brought about an idea – Self Help Book Club.

IMG_20120920_205110

I sent out an invite to some good friends, inviting them to join me in the journey of figuring out what makes us happy, what we need to change, and how to improve our lives! 

We had our first meeting last night – a yummy dinner at a Thai restaurant we all love, complete with lots of vodka-based beverages and some fantastic conversation about happiness!

IMG_20120920_192040

It makes me happy when everyone orders vodka, and JB requests hot tea in her sweet, southern accent.

IMG_20120920_204257

We had a great time, and I’m so excited to spend one evening a month ironing out the ups and downs of life with these ladies – and with the other girls who couldn’t make it this time, but plan to come in future months!

A little bit of inside information for my Happiness Project girls – Anne Marie said her bobbling “lucky cats” danced on her dashboard to “Sexy Back” all the way home!  THAT makes me HAPPY.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...