June 16, 2010

less than 4 weeks.

Yesterday marked the start of me going to the doctor weekly until Kennedy arrives! Where has the time gone? This pregnancy went way faster than my first. I'm sure that's because I was too busy chasing a toddler to really do much thinking about it. I'm 35 weeks now, and cannot believe we're in the final weeks until we meet our daughter!

I made the decision a few weeks ago to change from my doctor, to a midwife in the same practice. I hadn't really stopped to think about things when I was only seeing my doctor once a month, but as we were nearing the end and I was seeing her more frequently, there were some things I realized I wasn't completely happy with. There was always an hour and a half (or more!) wait to see her, and when she came in the room with me, I only got to see her for about 3-5 minutes before she was off to her next patient. I was starting to have more questions as the pregnancy progressed, and felt so rushed in my appointments that I thought changing to a midwife may be a better fit for me. Two weeks ago, I saw one of the midwifes in the practice and wasn't overly impressed with her either. This week, I saw a different one because I made my appointment on a day that Bennet had preschool. This one - I am in love with. I only feel sad that I didn't see her all throughout my pregnancy. She listens, she gives good advice, she seems to really care about my concerns, she takes her time - she's a dream come true! I'm so thankful to have found her, even if only for the next few weeks.

Kennedy is doing great! She is head-down and ready to go, which is always a relief to hear. Her heart rate is good, I'm measuring right on schedule for 35 weeks, and we'll get to go for our last ultrasound once I go in next week for my 36-week appointment. I can't wait to see her again - we haven't had an ultrasound since 19 weeks! My midwife doesn't anticipate her being a big baby, which I was glad to hear since at this point with Bennet, they were predicting he was 10 1/2 pounds! My blood pressure is great, which is also a drastic difference between this pregnancy and the last. My weight-gain is much lower. Life is good for Kennedy and for Momma.

The midwife told me yesterday that the policy of the practice is that they will induce at 39 weeks if the mother wants to do it that way. After my labor experience with Bennet, I was skeptical about an induction, but she seems to think inductions go much better with subsequent pregnancies, and that I'd have a very different experience. We've been weighing the pros and cons, and I think we are going to go ahead and schedule the induction for July 12th. If she comes sooner, we'd love that, but there's a lot of comfort in knowing that July 12th is the absolute cut-off date. We close on our new home on July 23rd (more on that later!), so having her born and me recovering as soon as possible sounds great to us. It's also comforting to think we can plan out Bennet's stay with my mom a little better since we'll know when I'll be in labor. It's crazy to think that in less than 4 weeks, we'll be holding our baby girl!

I told Andrew last night that, now that I feel so peaceful about a July 12th induction, she's probably going to come earlier. Nothing's ever what you plan on with babies, but we'll handle whatever Kennedy throws at us!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...